US tourist identified after being fatally electrocuted beside his wife in hot tub

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

A US tourist who was fatally electrocuted in a hot tub in Mexico while his wife was badly injured, has been identified.

The 43-year-old man, identified by authorities as Jorge G. from El Paso, Texas, lost his life, while his wife, Lizette Z., sustained life-threatening injuries around 10:00PM on June 11 at the Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Penasco.

Lizette Z. was transported to the U.S. and is reported to be in critical condition, according to KTSM.

The General Prosecutor’s Office suggested that Lizette Z.'s injuries, including burns, indicate she may have suffered an electric shock, potentially due to faulty wiring.

GettyImages-1170007521.jpgThe couple were in the hot tub when they were reportedly electrocuted. Credit: fotostorm / Getty

A witness who knew the couple saw them in the outdoor hot tub but noticed that neither was moving. When the bystander attempted to assist, she also received a shock and had to call for help.

Sara Gaitan-Perez, a registered nurse from Goodyear, Arizona, and others attempted to revive the victims, she wrote in a Wednesday Facebook message to the Arizona Daily Star.

Gaitan-Perez noted that the victims, a married couple, were the only two people in the hot tub when the electrical malfunction happened. “We had just come up from the pool, and my husband and son were in that very same (hot tub) about an hour before,” she said.

GettyImages-1308181189.jpgThe tragic incident unfolded in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. Credit: grandriver / Getty

She recounted rushing to the pool area and assisting others in performing CPR. The man did not have a pulse when she arrived, and attempts to use a defibrillator were unsuccessful.

“The wife ended up becoming responsive and was breathing on her own by the time she was taken by gurney to the ambulance,” she added.

A video of the aftermath, taken by Gaitan-Perez’s husband, shows people gathered around the hot tub, screaming for help as someone performs CPR on a person lying on the ground.


“The Sonoran Sea needs to be held accountable, and a root cause investigation needs to be made public to ensure this tragedy never happens again,” Gaitan-Perez stated.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined, as reported by the El Paso Times.

The case is currently under investigation, and Sonoran Sea is yet to comment on the incident.

Our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragedy.

Featured image credit: fotostorm / Getty

US tourist identified after being fatally electrocuted beside his wife in hot tub

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

A US tourist who was fatally electrocuted in a hot tub in Mexico while his wife was badly injured, has been identified.

The 43-year-old man, identified by authorities as Jorge G. from El Paso, Texas, lost his life, while his wife, Lizette Z., sustained life-threatening injuries around 10:00PM on June 11 at the Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Penasco.

Lizette Z. was transported to the U.S. and is reported to be in critical condition, according to KTSM.

The General Prosecutor’s Office suggested that Lizette Z.'s injuries, including burns, indicate she may have suffered an electric shock, potentially due to faulty wiring.

GettyImages-1170007521.jpgThe couple were in the hot tub when they were reportedly electrocuted. Credit: fotostorm / Getty

A witness who knew the couple saw them in the outdoor hot tub but noticed that neither was moving. When the bystander attempted to assist, she also received a shock and had to call for help.

Sara Gaitan-Perez, a registered nurse from Goodyear, Arizona, and others attempted to revive the victims, she wrote in a Wednesday Facebook message to the Arizona Daily Star.

Gaitan-Perez noted that the victims, a married couple, were the only two people in the hot tub when the electrical malfunction happened. “We had just come up from the pool, and my husband and son were in that very same (hot tub) about an hour before,” she said.

GettyImages-1308181189.jpgThe tragic incident unfolded in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. Credit: grandriver / Getty

She recounted rushing to the pool area and assisting others in performing CPR. The man did not have a pulse when she arrived, and attempts to use a defibrillator were unsuccessful.

“The wife ended up becoming responsive and was breathing on her own by the time she was taken by gurney to the ambulance,” she added.

A video of the aftermath, taken by Gaitan-Perez’s husband, shows people gathered around the hot tub, screaming for help as someone performs CPR on a person lying on the ground.


“The Sonoran Sea needs to be held accountable, and a root cause investigation needs to be made public to ensure this tragedy never happens again,” Gaitan-Perez stated.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined, as reported by the El Paso Times.

The case is currently under investigation, and Sonoran Sea is yet to comment on the incident.

Our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragedy.

Featured image credit: fotostorm / Getty