Woman whose husband was fatally electrocuted in hot tub files $1 million lawsuit

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

A woman who tragically lost her husband after he was electrocuted in a hotel hot tub has filed a lawsuit against the resort.

As previously reported, the tragic incident occurred at the Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Penasco, Mexico, resulting in the death of a US tourist and left his wife with life-threatening injuries.

The 43-year-old man, identified by authorities as Jorge Guilllen from El Paso, Texas, was fatally electrocuted in a hot tub around 10:00PM on June 11.

His wife, Lizzette Zambrano, sustained severe injuries and is currently in critical condition after being transported to the United States.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 11.33.17.jpgGuilllen was killed while Zambrano remains in critical condition. Credit: GoFundMe

Preliminary findings by the General Prosecutor’s Office suggest that Zambrano's injuries, including burns, indicate she may have suffered an electric shock, possibly due to faulty wiring.

A witness familiar with the couple noticed they were unresponsive in the outdoor hot tub. When the bystander tried to help, she also received a shock and had to call for assistance.

Sara Gaitan-Perez, a registered nurse from Goodyear, Arizona, was among those who attempted to revive the couple. She shared her experience in a Facebook message to the Arizona Daily Star.

“We had just come up from the pool, and my husband and son were in that very same hot tub about an hour before,” Gaitan-Perez recounted.


She described rushing to the scene and helping others perform CPR on Guilllen, who was unresponsive and did not have a pulse. Despite efforts to use a defibrillator, they were unable to revive him.

Zambrano, 35, has filed a lawsuit seeking more than $1 million against the parent companies of Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Penasco, Mexico, following the tragic death of her husband.

Zambrano, who remains in critical condition in the hospital, initiated the lawsuit in response to the incident that occurred on June 11, as reported by KFOX.

The lawsuit, filed in a Texas court, states that Zambrano herself was shocked when she tried to help her husband.

The suit alleges that it took resort staff ten minutes to respond while Guillen was being electrocuted and drowned. Zambrano claims the resort should have been aware of the electrical fault and should have placed warning signs to alert visitors of the danger.

GettyImages-1308181189 (1).jpgThe tragic incident unfolded in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. Credit: grandriver / Getty

“There is no reason this should have happened,” said attorney Tej Paranjpe, according to KFOX. “Hotels and resorts have a duty to ensure guest safety. At no point did resort staff think to engage an emergency shut-off, not to mention warn guests of a faulty, dangerous amenity.”

The lawsuit requests that the court prevent the resort from repairing the jacuzzi to preserve evidence.

A GoFundMe page has been set up in order to support the family, and has currently raised $54,000.

Featured image credit: GoFundMe

Woman whose husband was fatally electrocuted in hot tub files $1 million lawsuit

vt-author-image

By James Kay

Article saved!Article saved!

A woman who tragically lost her husband after he was electrocuted in a hotel hot tub has filed a lawsuit against the resort.

As previously reported, the tragic incident occurred at the Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Penasco, Mexico, resulting in the death of a US tourist and left his wife with life-threatening injuries.

The 43-year-old man, identified by authorities as Jorge Guilllen from El Paso, Texas, was fatally electrocuted in a hot tub around 10:00PM on June 11.

His wife, Lizzette Zambrano, sustained severe injuries and is currently in critical condition after being transported to the United States.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 11.33.17.jpgGuilllen was killed while Zambrano remains in critical condition. Credit: GoFundMe

Preliminary findings by the General Prosecutor’s Office suggest that Zambrano's injuries, including burns, indicate she may have suffered an electric shock, possibly due to faulty wiring.

A witness familiar with the couple noticed they were unresponsive in the outdoor hot tub. When the bystander tried to help, she also received a shock and had to call for assistance.

Sara Gaitan-Perez, a registered nurse from Goodyear, Arizona, was among those who attempted to revive the couple. She shared her experience in a Facebook message to the Arizona Daily Star.

“We had just come up from the pool, and my husband and son were in that very same hot tub about an hour before,” Gaitan-Perez recounted.


She described rushing to the scene and helping others perform CPR on Guilllen, who was unresponsive and did not have a pulse. Despite efforts to use a defibrillator, they were unable to revive him.

Zambrano, 35, has filed a lawsuit seeking more than $1 million against the parent companies of Sonoran Sea Resort in Puerto Penasco, Mexico, following the tragic death of her husband.

Zambrano, who remains in critical condition in the hospital, initiated the lawsuit in response to the incident that occurred on June 11, as reported by KFOX.

The lawsuit, filed in a Texas court, states that Zambrano herself was shocked when she tried to help her husband.

The suit alleges that it took resort staff ten minutes to respond while Guillen was being electrocuted and drowned. Zambrano claims the resort should have been aware of the electrical fault and should have placed warning signs to alert visitors of the danger.

GettyImages-1308181189 (1).jpgThe tragic incident unfolded in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. Credit: grandriver / Getty

“There is no reason this should have happened,” said attorney Tej Paranjpe, according to KFOX. “Hotels and resorts have a duty to ensure guest safety. At no point did resort staff think to engage an emergency shut-off, not to mention warn guests of a faulty, dangerous amenity.”

The lawsuit requests that the court prevent the resort from repairing the jacuzzi to preserve evidence.

A GoFundMe page has been set up in order to support the family, and has currently raised $54,000.

Featured image credit: GoFundMe