Zac Efron breaks silence on ‘life-threatening illness’ after being ‘rushed to hospital’
Yesterday it was reported by various publications that Zac Efron had been "rushed to hospital" after finding himself in a "life or death medical emergency".
According to The Sunday Telegraph, the actor, 32, was flown to Australia from Papua New Guinea by a medical evacuation crew after contracting a "form of typhoid or similar bacterial infection" just a few days before Christmas.
Efron was said to be in a "stable" condition when he was admitted to St Andrews War Memorial Hospital where he was kept for a week. It had also been reported that he was given the "all clear" by doctors following a medical assessment.
And now, Efron has broken his silence on the ordeal. Last night, he took to Instagram to thank his fans for their support since reports of his illness emerged.
Posting a photo of himself posing with natives of Papua New Guinea, the actor wrote:
"Very thankful to everyone who has reached out. I did get sick in Papua New Guinea but I bounced back quick and finished an amazing 3 weeks in P.N.G. I’m home for the holidays with my friends and family. Thanks for all the love and concern, see you in 2020!"
Zac Efron discusses his recent trip to Hawaii with Ellen:
Efron was in Papua New Guinea filming a new reality TV show called Killing Zac Efron. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the series will see the High School Musical star go "deep into the jungle of a remote, dangerous island, falling off the grid for 21 days".
The adventure series is said to star and be executive produced by Efron, who would leave behind all luxuries and survive with nothing but basic necessities and a partner to guide him.
Just four days before Christmas, tour guide Cyril Tara posted pictures with the actor as he took him to Kamanibit Village. They arrived at the village by canoe before traveling on to Pagwi Village. "I am very happy to be is guide,' wrote Tara on December 7 as he posed for a picture with Zac.