Film & TV5 min(s) read
America's Next Top Model contestant claims alleged sexual assault was recorded on camera without anyone stepping in
The reality show America’s Next Top Model is under scrutiny once again after the release of Netflix’s documentary Reality Check: Inside America’s Next Top Model.
The three-part docuseries, which aired on February 16, revisits some of the most controversial moments from the series, including the alleged sexual assault of former contestant Shandi Sullivan during Cycle 2.
Shandi Sullivan Opens Up About Alleged Assault
Sullivan, now 43, recalls a harrowing incident that took place during a trip to Milan, which became one of ANTM's most viral storylines.
In the documentary, she claims that after a day of go-sees, she was offered dinner and wine by the Italian male models who were chauffeuring the contestants around on Vespas.
According to AOL, Sullivan remembers drinking two bottles of wine and eating very little. She then joined some of the other models in a hot tub, where things took a dark turn.
"I just remember the guy looking at me, and I looked at him. And I was pretty drunk at that point. Everything kind of after that is just a blur," she explained.
Sullivan recalls flashes of the incident, including a moment where she found herself in the shower and then in bed, unable to fully understand what was happening.
“I remember him on top of me. I was blacked out. No one did anything to stop it. And it all got filmed, all of it,” she said.
The incident became a storyline in the show, and Sullivan was portrayed as having drunkenly slept with one of the male models.
She claims that despite her emotional state, production refused to let her leave the show and even insisted that she call her then-boyfriend to inform him of what happened.
During this call, she was reportedly called a "b***h" by her boyfriend, which left her emotionally devastated.
Shandi further recalled that after the cameras were turned off, the cameraman apologized for filming her private conversation.
Production Defends Its Practices
Executive producer Ken Mok spoke about the decision to continue filming the incident, explaining that the show operated like a documentary.
“We treated Top Model as a documentary. And we told the girls that. We would go over the rules. There’s going to be cameras with you 24/7, day in and day out, and they’re going to cover everything - the good, the bad, and everything in between,” he explained.
Mok further emphasized that the production team had no intention of intervening, as they were focused on documenting the contestants’ experiences. "No matter what happens while you’re on camera, we’re going to document all of that," he said.
Jay Manuel, another former producer, revealed that the crew was aware of the controversial nature of the situation.
He explained that cameras were allowed into the bathroom, a rule that was not typically followed, leading to the filming of the private moments between Shandi and the male model.
“But of course, when she went into the shower, she was technically not alone. So, the cameras went in, and they captured it,” Manuel said. “I don’t know whose decision it was, but as producers do, this was a story point now, and we’re going to see it all the way through.”
Tyra Banks Responds to Shandi’s Story
Tyra Banks, the former host and creator of America’s Next Top Model, also addressed the incident in the documentary.
While Banks acknowledged remembering Shandi’s story, she expressed difficulty discussing the production’s involvement, stating, "It’s a little difficult for me to talk about production because that’s not my territory."
However, Shandi was quick to point out that Banks had been aware of the situation during a later appearance on The Tyra Banks Show.
She recounted being asked to watch the footage of the incident on the show, but turning her eyes away so she wouldn't have to witness it.
Shandi’s Reflections on the Incident
Reflecting on the events in a Rolling Stone interview, Sullivan said, “My whole feeling for a long, long time was ‘I did this. I let this happen to me.’ But there were people watching the whole time, and someone should have intervened."
"Someone should have said ‘We need to put the cameras down and just go get her.’ They facilitated that whole situation with the hopes that something would happen. And thankfully for them, it made amazing television, right?” she added.
You can watch Reality Check: Inside America’s Next Top Model on Netflix.
