HBO boss refuses to respond to concerns about JK Rowling's involvement in 'Harry Potter' series

vt-author-image

By Asiya Ali

Article saved!Article saved!

HBO's boss has refused to speak about JK Rowling's involvement in the new Harry Potter TV series after it drew concerns from fans.

On April 12, Warner Bros announced the upcoming television adaptation, which will be released on the streaming service Max, currently branded as HBO Max.

According to the press release, the series will be a "faithful and authentic adaptation" of the beloved Harry Potter franchise by author JK Rowling, who will also serve as the executive producer.

The new show is expected to be a departure from the original films as it will have a whole new cast that "will lead a new generation of fandom".

As the controversial 57-year-old novelist will be heavily involved in the new show, concerned fans of the book series were left disappointed.

One fan took to Twitter to write: "Rebooting Harry Potter and having JK Rowling serve as executive producer is foul and I'm not even a big potter person but this seems like a disaster who asked for this."

Another user said: "Ugh. For the vast majority of HP fans, JK Rowling as executive producer in 2023 ain’t it."

A third commented: "This is actually such a blatant money grab it’s so embarrassing. What’s the point in a harry potter reboot if ur gonna use the same logo and music as the original films???? not even to mention jk rowling as an exec producer deary me."

For those unaware, Rowling became a divisive figure as a result of her views on transgender rights. She first angered people in 2020 after taking issue with an op-ed that discussed "people who menstruate," and did not use the word "woman."

Rowling wrote on Twitter at the time: "'People who menstruate.' I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?"

Daniel Radcliffe was the first star from the franchise to release a statement about her comments, writing: "Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional healthcare associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I."

Since then, the actor's co-stars Emma Watson and Rupert Grint have also distanced themselves from the writer - who has always denied making any transphobic remarks.

wp-image-1263206148 size-full
JK Rowling with Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson. Credit: PA Images / Alamy

During a Q&A with the press, CEO of HBO and Max Content, Casey Bloys, refrained from addressing the backlash towards the writer's involvement in the adaptation.

"[Rowling] will be involved. She's an executive producer on the show," he said, as reported by Variety. "Her insights are going to be helpful on that."

"The TV show is new and we're excited about that, but, remember, we've been in the 'Potter' business for 20 years. This is not a new decision for us, we're very comfortable being in the 'Potter' business," Bloys added.

Bloys also refused to comment on Rowling's alleged transphobic views when asked how they may affect the ability to find talent for the series.

"No, I don’t think this is the forum," he said. "That’s a very online conversation, very nuanced and complicated and not something we’re going to get into."

"Our priority is what’s on the screen," Bloys continued. "Obviously, the 'Harry Potter' story is incredibly affirmative and positive and about love and self-acceptance. That’s our priority - what’s on screen."

No release date has been scheduled for the Harry Potter TV series premiere.

Featured image credit: PA Images / Alamy

HBO boss refuses to respond to concerns about JK Rowling's involvement in 'Harry Potter' series

vt-author-image

By Asiya Ali

Article saved!Article saved!

HBO's boss has refused to speak about JK Rowling's involvement in the new Harry Potter TV series after it drew concerns from fans.

On April 12, Warner Bros announced the upcoming television adaptation, which will be released on the streaming service Max, currently branded as HBO Max.

According to the press release, the series will be a "faithful and authentic adaptation" of the beloved Harry Potter franchise by author JK Rowling, who will also serve as the executive producer.

The new show is expected to be a departure from the original films as it will have a whole new cast that "will lead a new generation of fandom".

As the controversial 57-year-old novelist will be heavily involved in the new show, concerned fans of the book series were left disappointed.

One fan took to Twitter to write: "Rebooting Harry Potter and having JK Rowling serve as executive producer is foul and I'm not even a big potter person but this seems like a disaster who asked for this."

Another user said: "Ugh. For the vast majority of HP fans, JK Rowling as executive producer in 2023 ain’t it."

A third commented: "This is actually such a blatant money grab it’s so embarrassing. What’s the point in a harry potter reboot if ur gonna use the same logo and music as the original films???? not even to mention jk rowling as an exec producer deary me."

For those unaware, Rowling became a divisive figure as a result of her views on transgender rights. She first angered people in 2020 after taking issue with an op-ed that discussed "people who menstruate," and did not use the word "woman."

Rowling wrote on Twitter at the time: "'People who menstruate.' I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?"

Daniel Radcliffe was the first star from the franchise to release a statement about her comments, writing: "Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional healthcare associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I."

Since then, the actor's co-stars Emma Watson and Rupert Grint have also distanced themselves from the writer - who has always denied making any transphobic remarks.

wp-image-1263206148 size-full
JK Rowling with Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson. Credit: PA Images / Alamy

During a Q&A with the press, CEO of HBO and Max Content, Casey Bloys, refrained from addressing the backlash towards the writer's involvement in the adaptation.

"[Rowling] will be involved. She's an executive producer on the show," he said, as reported by Variety. "Her insights are going to be helpful on that."

"The TV show is new and we're excited about that, but, remember, we've been in the 'Potter' business for 20 years. This is not a new decision for us, we're very comfortable being in the 'Potter' business," Bloys added.

Bloys also refused to comment on Rowling's alleged transphobic views when asked how they may affect the ability to find talent for the series.

"No, I don’t think this is the forum," he said. "That’s a very online conversation, very nuanced and complicated and not something we’re going to get into."

"Our priority is what’s on the screen," Bloys continued. "Obviously, the 'Harry Potter' story is incredibly affirmative and positive and about love and self-acceptance. That’s our priority - what’s on screen."

No release date has been scheduled for the Harry Potter TV series premiere.

Featured image credit: PA Images / Alamy