US3 min(s) read
Donald Trump speaks out on Andrew arrest for first time with unexpected statement
Fresh controversy has erupted around Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, and Donald Trump has now given his opinion.
Andrew, who was arrested on February 19, which coincided with his 66th birthday, is the subject of an investigation relating to the Epstein files.
The release of the files has named many high-profile individuals, though this isn't an indication of wrongdoing.
Trump Says Arrest Is ‘Very Sad’ And ‘Bad For The Royal Family’
Speaking to reporters, Trump did not hold back when asked about Andrew’s legal troubles, per the Independent.
"I think it's a shame. I think it's very sad. I think it's so bad for the royal family," he said.
He continued: "It’s very, very sad. To me, it’s a very sad thing.” He added that King Charles “who’s obviously coming to our country very soon”, is “a fantastic man, king.”
Trump also declared himself "exonerated" by the Epstein files, which he believes gives him a good position to comment on it.
He said: "It's really interesting, because nobody used to speak about Epstein when he was alive, and now they speak, but I’m the one that can talk about it because I’ve been totally exonerated."
He added: “I did nothing, in fact, the opposite. He was against me. He was fighting me in the election which I just found out throughout the last three million pages of documents.”
King Charles III Issues Statement
As the investigation unfolds, the UK's King Charles III addressed the situation publicly.
On Thursday, the British monarch issued a solemn statement, saying "the law must take its course" and affirming full support for the legal process as UK police investigate the alleged misconduct.
In an official statement, he said he had learned of the arrest with "the deepest concern" and stressed that Andrew’s case must now be examined through a "full, fair and proper process" by the appropriate authorities.
Charles reiterated that Buckingham Palace would provide "full and wholehearted support and co-operation" with investigators.
The palace also made clear that it would not be appropriate to comment further while legal proceedings continue, adding that he and his family would maintain their public duties and service.
Andrew Previously Denied Allegations
Andrew has previously denied all allegations, stating that he never witnessed or suspected any of Epstein's criminal activities and has not commented on the latest allegations relating to misconduct in public office.
The latest arrest comes months after King Charles III stripped Andrew of his title as prince in October, amid renewed scrutiny following the release of additional Epstein-related documents by the US Department of Justice.
The King also initiated proceedings to remove Andrew from his residence at Windsor, where he had lived since 2003.
With police investigations still ongoing in Berkshire and Norfolk, and Buckingham Palace pledging full cooperation, the case now enters what the monarch himself described as a "full, fair and proper process."
