Norway's future king speaks out as stepson is accused of rape and faces 32 charges

vt-author-image

By Asiya Ali

Article saved!Article saved!

Norway's future king has spoken out as his stepson, Marius Borg Høiby, faces 32 criminal abuse charges, including four counts of rape.

GettyImages-922479612.jpg Marius Borg Hoiby was accused of rape and faces 32 charges. Credit: Ian Gavan / Getty

Høiby, the 27-year-old son of the Norwegian crown princess Mette-Marit from a previous relationship, could face up to 10 years in prison if found guilty of the most serious charges.

The charges, which were made public on Monday (August 19), include allegations of illegally filming multiple women, including their genitals, without consent, raping four women, and abusing a former partner. He is also accused of harassment of police officers and traffic violations.

Høiby denies the most serious accusations but intends to admit to some lesser charges when his trial begins, according to his legal team.

His lawyer, Petar Sekulic, who is representing him alongside Ellen Holager Andaenæs, said in a statement: “Our client denies all charges of sexual abuse, as well as the majority of the charges regarding violence. He will present a detailed account of his version of events before the court," per The Guardian.

Høiby's step-dad, Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, addressed the matter during a press briefing, telling reporters: "We will continue to carry out our duties as best we can, as we always do," per Reuters. "Everyone involved in this case probably finds it challenging and difficult."

GettyImages-2219185073.jpg Crown Prince Haakon of Norway has spoken about his stepson's charges. Credit: Arnold Jerocki / Getty

The case follows a year-long police investigation as Høiby was arrested in November 2024 and held in detention for a week before being released. His trial, which could begin as early as January, is expected to last around six weeks.

State attorney Sturla Henriksbø emphasized that Høiby’s status as part of the royal family will not mean that he is treated "more leniently or strictly than if similar acts were committed by others".

The Norwegian royal palace echoed this stance, saying the matter was for the courts to handle and that it had nothing further to add.

GettyImages-473739428.jpg Høiby has never had a royal title or a place in the line of succession. Credit: Julian Parker / Getty

Princess Mette-Marit has previously described the strain the allegations have placed on the family. In the NRK program The Year of the Royal Family 2024, she said: “It has been a demanding year and a demanding autumn for us.”

Speaking about her son, she stressed his right to privacy and revealed that the family had sought “professional help” for some time.

“I don’t think we would have been able to be in a situation like this without having that help, together as a family, and at the same time fulfill our obligations to the Norwegian people,” she said, per PEOPLE.

Høiby was last seen in an official capacity with the royal family in June 2022, during the celebrations for Princess Ingrid Alexandra’s 18th birthday.

Featured image credit: Arnold Jerocki / Getty