The remote South Australian station at the center of the search for missing toddler Gus Lamont has now become the focus of a separate legal development.
A 75-year-old has been charged with firearm offences following police inquiries at the property where the four-year-old was last seen, per the Mirror.
Gus was last seen at his family home on September 27, 2025.
Since that day, South Australian Police have been conducting extensive investigations at Oak Park Station, a vast sheep property about 40 kilometres south of Yunta in the Australian Outback.
Authorities have confirmed that the newly laid charges are not connected to the child’s disappearance.
Firearm charges laid after property search
Acting Officer in Charge of the Major Crime Investigation Branch, Detective Inspector Andrew Macrae, confirmed the 75-year-old has been charged, stressing the allegations are unrelated to the missing child case.
A police spokesperson said: "Members attached to Task Force Horizon conducting inquiries at Oak Park Station in connection with the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont on 27 September have concluded searching for evidence today.
"Inquiries are ongoing and it is anticipated that Task Force Horizon detectives will remain in the area tomorrow, Tuesday 17 February. An update on the search activities will be provided as they progress.
"As a result of a previous search at Oak Park Station, Task Force Horizon detectives have today arrested a 75-year-old from Grampus and charged them with firearm offences. They have been bailed to appear in the Peterborough Magistrates Court on 6 May.
"Acting Officer in Charge of Major Crime Investigation Branch Detective Inspector Andrew Macrae said the charges are not related to the disappearance of Gus Lamont nor a previous incident at Oak Park Station in October 2025 involving media attending the property."
Police have reiterated that the firearm offences stem from earlier search activity at Oak Park Station and are not tied to either Gus’ disappearance or an October 2025 incident involving media at the property.
Abduction ruled out as focus shifts
Investigators previously examined several possibilities in the baffling case, including the theory that a stranger may have abducted the four-year-old.
However, that line of inquiry was dismissed after detectives found no evidence to support an abduction.
Authorities said the alternative theory under investigation is that "someone known to him was involved in his disappearance and suspected death", which has now become the primary focus of the case.
Largest missing persons search in South Australian history
Police have described the operation as the largest search ever mounted for a missing persons case in South Australia. A major ground and air response was launched immediately after Gus was reported missing, per 9 News.
The search has spanned 706 square kilometres, supported by 80 Australian Defence Force soldiers along with drones, mounted officers and aircraft. Approximately 163 South Australian Police officers have been deployed as part of the effort.
Specialist teams also carried out a three-day examination of six mine shafts near Oak Park Station, but no evidence was discovered.
More than 150 tips have been submitted to Crime Stoppers regarding the missing child. Despite the scale of the investigation, no arrests or charges have been made in connection with Gus Lamont’s disappearance.
