Soccer legend Pelé releases statement following reports he had started 'end-of-life care'

vt-author-image

By Phoebe Egoroff

Article saved!Article saved!

Brazilian soccer icon Pelé has released a statement following reports that he had begun end-of-life care as a result of his battle with colon cancer.

Widely regarded as one of the greatest soccer players of all time, Pelé led Brazil to World Cup victory in 1958, 1962, and 1970. FIFA has even named him the "greatest of them all." Scoring 77 goals in 92 games, Pelé remains Brazil's all-time leading goalscorer, per FIFA.

As previously reported, the 82-year-old - who was born Edson Arantes do Nascimento - was taken to the Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo on Tuesday (November 29) as his condition was "debilitated." EPSN Brasil also detailed that he was suffering from "decompensated heart failure," and that medical professionals had told him that his chemotherapy was not having the desired effect.

wp-image-1263181626 size-full
Pelé (pictured in 1977) has been deemed the "greatest of them all" by FIFA. Credit: PCN Photography / Alamy

His daughter, Kely Nascimento, took to Instagram to release a statement earlier in the week, adding that there was "no surprise or emergency" involved.

"Lots of alarm in the media today concerning my dad's health. He is in the hospital regulating medication," Nascimento wrote. "There is no emergency or new dire prediction. I will be there for New Years and promise to post some pictures."

Then, on Saturday, it was reported by the Brazillian newspaper Folha de S.Paulo that Pelé's chemotherapy had been suspended, and that he was being moved to palliative care and only being treated for pain and shortness of breath.

Now, Pelé has shared a statement with his 10.8 million Instagram followers.

"My friends, I want to keep everyone calm and positive. I'm strong, with a lot of hope and I follow my treatment as usual. I want to thank the entire medical and nursing team for all the care I have received," the statement read.

"I have a lot of faith in God and every message of love I receive from you all over the world keeps me full of energy. And watch Brazil in the World Cup too! Thank you so much for everything," it concluded.

As of this writing, neither Pelé nor any members of his family have confirmed or denied the reports that the soccer legend is receiving palliative care.

Many social media users have taken to various platforms to give their best wishes to Pelé, with a FIFA panel in Qatar displaying a "Pelé, get well soon" message.

French soccer player Kylian Mbappé tweeted: "Pray for the King."

"This is extremely heartbreaking; I hope the end isn't near. The doctors treat but God heals. Praying for Pele during this very difficult time, may the heavens comfort & continue to strengthen him. Wishing his loved ones divine peace. The world is praying for 'em all..." someone else added.

Our best wishes go out to Pelé and his loved ones at this time.

Featured image credit: A.PAES / Alamy

Soccer legend Pelé releases statement following reports he had started 'end-of-life care'

vt-author-image

By Phoebe Egoroff

Article saved!Article saved!

Brazilian soccer icon Pelé has released a statement following reports that he had begun end-of-life care as a result of his battle with colon cancer.

Widely regarded as one of the greatest soccer players of all time, Pelé led Brazil to World Cup victory in 1958, 1962, and 1970. FIFA has even named him the "greatest of them all." Scoring 77 goals in 92 games, Pelé remains Brazil's all-time leading goalscorer, per FIFA.

As previously reported, the 82-year-old - who was born Edson Arantes do Nascimento - was taken to the Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo on Tuesday (November 29) as his condition was "debilitated." EPSN Brasil also detailed that he was suffering from "decompensated heart failure," and that medical professionals had told him that his chemotherapy was not having the desired effect.

wp-image-1263181626 size-full
Pelé (pictured in 1977) has been deemed the "greatest of them all" by FIFA. Credit: PCN Photography / Alamy

His daughter, Kely Nascimento, took to Instagram to release a statement earlier in the week, adding that there was "no surprise or emergency" involved.

"Lots of alarm in the media today concerning my dad's health. He is in the hospital regulating medication," Nascimento wrote. "There is no emergency or new dire prediction. I will be there for New Years and promise to post some pictures."

Then, on Saturday, it was reported by the Brazillian newspaper Folha de S.Paulo that Pelé's chemotherapy had been suspended, and that he was being moved to palliative care and only being treated for pain and shortness of breath.

Now, Pelé has shared a statement with his 10.8 million Instagram followers.

"My friends, I want to keep everyone calm and positive. I'm strong, with a lot of hope and I follow my treatment as usual. I want to thank the entire medical and nursing team for all the care I have received," the statement read.

"I have a lot of faith in God and every message of love I receive from you all over the world keeps me full of energy. And watch Brazil in the World Cup too! Thank you so much for everything," it concluded.

As of this writing, neither Pelé nor any members of his family have confirmed or denied the reports that the soccer legend is receiving palliative care.

Many social media users have taken to various platforms to give their best wishes to Pelé, with a FIFA panel in Qatar displaying a "Pelé, get well soon" message.

French soccer player Kylian Mbappé tweeted: "Pray for the King."

"This is extremely heartbreaking; I hope the end isn't near. The doctors treat but God heals. Praying for Pele during this very difficult time, may the heavens comfort & continue to strengthen him. Wishing his loved ones divine peace. The world is praying for 'em all..." someone else added.

Our best wishes go out to Pelé and his loved ones at this time.

Featured image credit: A.PAES / Alamy