Teen dies after doctors misdiagnose her deadly infection as 'boring' virus

vt-author-image

By Nasima Khatun

Article saved!Article saved!

A teenager tragically passed away after doctors misdiagnosed her deadly infection as a "boring" virus.

Mia Ginever was only 19 years old when she died at Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey in the United Kingdom after medical professionals failed to identify that she was suffering from a lethal infection.

Instead, she was told that it was just a "boring" virus and was sent home to rest up.

However, the pain continued to get worse as time passed until Mia had no choice but to go back to the hospital with her mom, Mel, and this time, she had the addition of another symptom: Red blotches all over her face.

Credit: Just Giving

Speaking to The Times, Mel opened up about how this carelessness impacted Mia as well as her loved ones.

"Mia's whole future has been taken away through no fault of her own. She had so much to give to the world and was just ready to embrace her life," she told the outlet, after her daughter died in 2022.

"We trusted the doctors to make the right decisions. If I had any inclination she was going to die, I would have been screaming," the heartbroken mother added.

When the 19-year-old came in the second time, the first registrar who assessed her failed to carry out any blood tests or administer any antibiotics, as per the Daily Mail.

Credit: Boy_Anupong/Getty

The only thing Mia was given was pain relief until a new doctor who had just clocked on for their shift did the proper assessments and realized that she was suffering from meningitis B.

Meningitis is a disease that causes severe inflammation that surrounds and protects the brain and spinal cord.

The teen was given some medication to help battle the disease eight hours after she initially arrived for help, but it was no use as it had progressed beyond the point of return.

Mia was put into an induced coma and sadly passed away two days later after being transferred into intensive care.

Now her parents are seeking justice for their "beautiful and vibrant" daughter.

Phil, Mia's father, described the care of his child as "so poor" and described the pain of losing her as ever-ending.

"After she died they let us take her handprints and hair, like a newborn. But then she was all alone. I should've stayed and waited," he admitted. 

An investigation into Mia's care was launched and the hospital found that Mia had already developed meningococcal sepsis by the time she arrived at Frimley hospital for the second time.

Credit: Just Giving

The Daily Mail reported that Frimley Park hospital also admitted that "doctors did not assess Mia properly for meningitis and sepsis, and that it failed to follow NHS protocol of giving antibiotics within an hour of arriving at hospital for the second time" which ultimately led to her death.

Now the family is suing the hospital for negligence.

Deborah Nadel, a legal director representing the family in the claim stated that Mia's death would have been preventable.

"The pain for Mia's family of learning that her death was preventable by prompt treatment is unimaginable," Nadel said, as per the outlet. "Hospitals need to improve how they learn from mistakes and the family are hoping that the coroner's investigation will highlight this."

Our thoughts are with Mia's loved ones during this difficult time.

Featured Image Credit: Nitat Termmee/Getty

Teen dies after doctors misdiagnose her deadly infection as 'boring' virus

vt-author-image

By Nasima Khatun

Article saved!Article saved!

A teenager tragically passed away after doctors misdiagnosed her deadly infection as a "boring" virus.

Mia Ginever was only 19 years old when she died at Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey in the United Kingdom after medical professionals failed to identify that she was suffering from a lethal infection.

Instead, she was told that it was just a "boring" virus and was sent home to rest up.

However, the pain continued to get worse as time passed until Mia had no choice but to go back to the hospital with her mom, Mel, and this time, she had the addition of another symptom: Red blotches all over her face.

Credit: Just Giving

Speaking to The Times, Mel opened up about how this carelessness impacted Mia as well as her loved ones.

"Mia's whole future has been taken away through no fault of her own. She had so much to give to the world and was just ready to embrace her life," she told the outlet, after her daughter died in 2022.

"We trusted the doctors to make the right decisions. If I had any inclination she was going to die, I would have been screaming," the heartbroken mother added.

When the 19-year-old came in the second time, the first registrar who assessed her failed to carry out any blood tests or administer any antibiotics, as per the Daily Mail.

Credit: Boy_Anupong/Getty

The only thing Mia was given was pain relief until a new doctor who had just clocked on for their shift did the proper assessments and realized that she was suffering from meningitis B.

Meningitis is a disease that causes severe inflammation that surrounds and protects the brain and spinal cord.

The teen was given some medication to help battle the disease eight hours after she initially arrived for help, but it was no use as it had progressed beyond the point of return.

Mia was put into an induced coma and sadly passed away two days later after being transferred into intensive care.

Now her parents are seeking justice for their "beautiful and vibrant" daughter.

Phil, Mia's father, described the care of his child as "so poor" and described the pain of losing her as ever-ending.

"After she died they let us take her handprints and hair, like a newborn. But then she was all alone. I should've stayed and waited," he admitted. 

An investigation into Mia's care was launched and the hospital found that Mia had already developed meningococcal sepsis by the time she arrived at Frimley hospital for the second time.

Credit: Just Giving

The Daily Mail reported that Frimley Park hospital also admitted that "doctors did not assess Mia properly for meningitis and sepsis, and that it failed to follow NHS protocol of giving antibiotics within an hour of arriving at hospital for the second time" which ultimately led to her death.

Now the family is suing the hospital for negligence.

Deborah Nadel, a legal director representing the family in the claim stated that Mia's death would have been preventable.

"The pain for Mia's family of learning that her death was preventable by prompt treatment is unimaginable," Nadel said, as per the outlet. "Hospitals need to improve how they learn from mistakes and the family are hoping that the coroner's investigation will highlight this."

Our thoughts are with Mia's loved ones during this difficult time.

Featured Image Credit: Nitat Termmee/Getty