Loading...
US3 min(s) read
Published 09:35 22 May 2026 GMT
In a joint statement on Thursday by the family of Kyle Busch, Richard Childress Racing, and NASCAR, the sudden death of the racing legend was announced.
Busch, who was just 41 at the time of passing, was a highly accomplished American professional stock car racing driver, best known for winning two NASCAR Cup Series championships in 2015 and 2019.
He holds the record for the most all-time wins across NASCAR's three national series and is famously nicknamed "Rowdy" for his aggressive driving style and polarizing, outspoken personality.
Although Busch’s cause of death has not been revealed publicly, just a few hours before the tragic announcement, his representatives said that he had been sent to the hospital with a severe illness.
The statement reads, "A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation.
"He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled, and he cared deeply about the sport and fans. ... Nascar lost a giant of the sport today, far too soon."
Busch is survived by his parents, wife and two young children.
Commemorating Busch’s 22 full-time seasons, two Cup Series titles, and 63 races, the statement continued, "Throughout a career that spanned more than two decades, Kyle set records in national series wins, won championships at NASCAR's highest level, and fostered the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series.
"His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal 'Rowdy Nation.'"
Yesterday, the driver’s family announced that he was in the hospital receiving treatment for a severe illness, so he would not be competing in any of his scheduled activities this weekend.
Busch was scheduled to compete at the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway over the upcoming holiday weekend in North Carolina.
Since the tragic news has spread, tributes have poured in on social media.
Former teammate Denny Hamlin wrote, "Absolutely cannot comprehend this news. We just need to think of his family during this time. We love you KB."
Dale Earnhardt Jr, who clashed with Busch early in their respective careers, said in a statement: "We luckily took the time to figure out our differences, and that was something he instigated with a conversation in his bus around how we each managed our racing teams. ... But it was he who made the effort for that to be possible."
He continued: "My heart is broken for the Busch family. I will never be able to make sense of this loss, but I am thankful that we had found a way to become friends."
Speedway Motorsports, which owns Charlotte Motor Speedway where Busch was set to race this weekend, described Busch as "champion among champions" and as a "once-in-a-generation competitor".