Loading...
US3 min(s) read
Published 15:33 22 May 2026 GMT
Charges against two citizen journalists arrested during a growing controversy over Trinidad, Texas’ water crisis have now been dismissed, as questions continue to swirl around the city’s water supply and the abrupt closure of city hall.
A Henderson County grand jury declined to indict Jennifer Combs, while a municipal judge dismissed the case against YouTube journalist Winston Noles, better known online as Otto the Watchdog. The pair were arrested separately following protests and online posts tied to complaints about the city’s long-running water issues.
The developments come as the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality continues investigating Trinidad’s water system, while city officials have closed Trinidad City Hall until next Tuesday for reasons that have not been explained.
Combs was arrested after posting concerns on Facebook about possible health problems linked to the city’s water supply.
Her post read: "We have received reports that some citizens have been hospitalized due to bacteria in the water. This is a serious public health concern that deserves immediate attention."
FOX 4 reported receiving images from residents showing heavily discolored water, while city leaders acknowledged there has been a water issue affecting Trinidad for years.
Police Chief Charles Gregory disputed claims that anyone had been hospitalized and argued in his own social media post that Combs’ message "creates fear, panic, or unnecessary emergency response within a community."
Combs was then charged with felony false alarm or report.
She has maintained she was investigating public concerns, while Trinidad’s mayor reportedly said he had also seen social media posts claiming residents had been hospitalized.
Combs has since filed a lawsuit against the city, describing the arrest as "political retaliation."
Noles traveled to Trinidad after learning about Combs’ arrest and began livestreaming a protest outside the Trinidad Police Department to his 80,000 YouTube subscribers.
"So I came out to Trinidad because I found out that the Chief of Police had arrested a lady for making a Facebook post," said Noles.
He carried a sign containing profanity directed at police that FOX 4 said could not be shown on television.
"We are in a crisis with the First Amendment right now," said Noles. "I don’t like the bad part of law enforcement. I like good cops."
About 18 minutes into the livestream, officers arrested Noles and charged him with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
"What they did to me was so clearly unconstitutional that any reasonable officer should’ve known better," said Noles.
On Thursday, Trinidad’s municipal judge dismissed the case against Noles, while a Henderson County grand jury issued a no-bill in Combs’ case, meaning prosecutors did not move forward due to a lack of evidence.
Even with both cases now dismissed, residents are still searching for answers about Trinidad’s water problems and the sudden closure of city hall.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality confirmed to FOX 4 that its investigation into the city’s water remains active.
City Hall is currently closed until next Tuesday, though officials have not publicly explained why.
The controversy has fueled wider debate over free speech, citizen journalism, and how local officials responded to criticism surrounding Trinidad’s water system.