Heartbreak as yet another child dies following triple-figure temperatures in Arizona

vt-author-image

By Asiya Ali

Article saved!Article saved!

A nine-year-old boy tragically died after collapsing during a hike in the Arizona desert.

According to officials, the heartbreaking incident took place on Tuesday (July 2) after Cortinez Logan went on a trail walk with his family at the South Mountain Park and Preserve near Phoenix.

The family began their hike in the early hours of the morning but later in the afternoon, they called fire crews to the Mormon Trailhead near 24th Street and Baseline because the child became overheated, per WSAZ 3.

Cortinez went "in and out of consciousness," while being administered CPR and was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Detectives are investigating what led up to the child's tragic passing but suspect that it is a result of the scorching triple-figure temperatures in Arizona.

Standard protocol usually sees trails on South Mountain close on days when there are heat warnings, however, the National Weather Service did not issue an extreme heat watch warning that day.

Phoenix Fire Captain Todd Keller has issued a warning to hikers, stressing the importance of hydrating properly and carrying a phone during the heat.

"If you have someone who hasn't been properly hydrating, not drinking enough water, that heat can affect them within minutes," Keller said, per Daily Mail. "When you're halfway done with your water, you're halfway done with your hike."

"If you start to feel any kind of dizziness or any lightheadedness, please stop, turn around, come back another day. Just because you don't make it to the summit of the mountain, doesn't mean it wasn't a successful hike," he added.

The cop said that firefighters train for rescues in difficult conditions but added that each call also puts their health at risk.

"Our firefighters are the best-trained rescuers in the world. They know it's coming but the heat does affect them,' Keller said "That's why we always say that if you're going to go up the mountain, you're putting yourself in danger and you're putting our rescuers in danger."

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 16.55.10.pngCredit: GoFundMe

Cortinez's untimely death comes a few days before a four-month-old baby tragically died after temperatures in Arizona skyrocketed to 120 degrees.

The baby - identified as Tanna Rae Wroblewski - had been out on a boat in Lake Havasu, Arizona, with family when she suddenly became unwell and lost consciousness last Friday (July 5) evening.

The parents performed CPR on their baby girl until the Lake Havasu City Fire Department arrived at the scene and rushed her to Lake Havasu Regional Medical Center. Tragically, she was pronounced dead after being airlifted to Phoenix Children’s Hospital.

output-onlinetools (67).pngTanna died over the weekend during a family trip in Arizona. Credit: GoFundMe

On Monday (July 8), Tanna’s mother, Alyssa, took to Facebook - the day that her late daughter would have turned four months old - to share a heartbreaking statement.

The post, which was accompanied by pictures of the little one, read: “These are the last photos I took of you before you left us. Your smile radiated joy. I always said she is my ANGEL she is my PEACE.

"I never thought there would be a day in my life without you. You made our family whole. You would’ve been 4 months old today," she continued, revealing that explaining the loss to Tanna's older sister Ray “has been tough".

“We don’t understand why you had to leave, how could she? She’s left out toys for you and made sure your favorites were all in the bassinet before bed the last couple nights," she said. "We are so heartbroken without you baby girl, there are just no words."

Our thoughts are with both Cortinez and Tanna's loved ones at this devastating time.

Featured image credit: Mario Tama / Getty

Heartbreak as yet another child dies following triple-figure temperatures in Arizona

vt-author-image

By Asiya Ali

Article saved!Article saved!

A nine-year-old boy tragically died after collapsing during a hike in the Arizona desert.

According to officials, the heartbreaking incident took place on Tuesday (July 2) after Cortinez Logan went on a trail walk with his family at the South Mountain Park and Preserve near Phoenix.

The family began their hike in the early hours of the morning but later in the afternoon, they called fire crews to the Mormon Trailhead near 24th Street and Baseline because the child became overheated, per WSAZ 3.

Cortinez went "in and out of consciousness," while being administered CPR and was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Detectives are investigating what led up to the child's tragic passing but suspect that it is a result of the scorching triple-figure temperatures in Arizona.

Standard protocol usually sees trails on South Mountain close on days when there are heat warnings, however, the National Weather Service did not issue an extreme heat watch warning that day.

Phoenix Fire Captain Todd Keller has issued a warning to hikers, stressing the importance of hydrating properly and carrying a phone during the heat.

"If you have someone who hasn't been properly hydrating, not drinking enough water, that heat can affect them within minutes," Keller said, per Daily Mail. "When you're halfway done with your water, you're halfway done with your hike."

"If you start to feel any kind of dizziness or any lightheadedness, please stop, turn around, come back another day. Just because you don't make it to the summit of the mountain, doesn't mean it wasn't a successful hike," he added.

The cop said that firefighters train for rescues in difficult conditions but added that each call also puts their health at risk.

"Our firefighters are the best-trained rescuers in the world. They know it's coming but the heat does affect them,' Keller said "That's why we always say that if you're going to go up the mountain, you're putting yourself in danger and you're putting our rescuers in danger."

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 16.55.10.pngCredit: GoFundMe

Cortinez's untimely death comes a few days before a four-month-old baby tragically died after temperatures in Arizona skyrocketed to 120 degrees.

The baby - identified as Tanna Rae Wroblewski - had been out on a boat in Lake Havasu, Arizona, with family when she suddenly became unwell and lost consciousness last Friday (July 5) evening.

The parents performed CPR on their baby girl until the Lake Havasu City Fire Department arrived at the scene and rushed her to Lake Havasu Regional Medical Center. Tragically, she was pronounced dead after being airlifted to Phoenix Children’s Hospital.

output-onlinetools (67).pngTanna died over the weekend during a family trip in Arizona. Credit: GoFundMe

On Monday (July 8), Tanna’s mother, Alyssa, took to Facebook - the day that her late daughter would have turned four months old - to share a heartbreaking statement.

The post, which was accompanied by pictures of the little one, read: “These are the last photos I took of you before you left us. Your smile radiated joy. I always said she is my ANGEL she is my PEACE.

"I never thought there would be a day in my life without you. You made our family whole. You would’ve been 4 months old today," she continued, revealing that explaining the loss to Tanna's older sister Ray “has been tough".

“We don’t understand why you had to leave, how could she? She’s left out toys for you and made sure your favorites were all in the bassinet before bed the last couple nights," she said. "We are so heartbroken without you baby girl, there are just no words."

Our thoughts are with both Cortinez and Tanna's loved ones at this devastating time.

Featured image credit: Mario Tama / Getty