Loading...
US3 min(s) read
Published 11:32 24 May 2026 GMT
A survivor of the two attacks on the World Trade Centre is now fighting for her life against health issues she believes are related to the traumatic incidents.
Jenn Ashcraft, 60, survived the attacks in both 1993 and 2001, and shortly after the second attack began volunteering for the Red Cross in Arizona to honour the people who helped save her.
She has been battling several health issues for many years, but recently things have taken a turn for the worse.
Ashcraft recently told 12News: "My cuticles started bleeding. My skin developed some type of an attack, which now basically means my antibodies are attacking my body."
She has since been diagnosed with a series of autoimmune diseases that make her feel like her body is “burning itself from the inside out”.
Explaining the areas that have been affected she said, "My chest, my back, my arms, my face. It's all very painful."
Now, doctors are now desperately trying to save her life and manage her symptoms with antibody replacement.
A GoFundMe page set up on her behalf, which has already raised $7,500 so far, explains that, "After September 11, she began volunteering with the American Red Cross, dedicating herself to helping victims of disasters and traumatic events in her community.
"This included public education, teaching fire safety to school children as well as organizing fundraisers and donation drive for local veterans. It was her way of honoring the brave first responders who risked their lives and the many people who lost theirs during those tragic days."
Tragically, tumours were recently found on her lungs, which require additional treatment and testing to determine if they are cancerous.
While it is unclear if the tumors are linked to the New York attacks she survived, Ashcraft is convinced that her poor health stems from being near the World Trade Centre during the bombings.
Allegedly, the World Trade Center Health Program currently doesn't recognize autoimmune diseases as linked to the attacks, so the sick 60-year-old has to foot her own medical bills.
According to the GoFundMe page, her insurance refuses to cover some of the procedures she needs.
The fundraising page explains, "Jenn’s medical team at Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix has recommended specialized scans, immunotherapy treatments, antibody replacement and infusions and ongoing care.
"Unfortunately, some of these necessary procedures have already been denied by insurance, leaving Jenn responsible for significant out-of-pocket expenses just to move forward with the care she urgently needs."