Mom issues warning after 7-year-old daughter dies after playing with her own birthday balloons

vt-author-image

By Nasima Khatun

Article saved!Article saved!

A mom has issued a serious warning after her daughter died because of her own birthday balloons.

Alexandra Hope Kelly had just turned seven years old when she tragically lost her life last week after popping balloons that were used as decor for her birthday at her home in Clinton, Tennessee.

Tragically, she was suffocated by a giant '7' balloon and now her devastated mom, Channa Kelly, is warning other parents of the potential dangers linked to celebratory decorations.

Speaking to news outlet WAFB, she said: "I want people to know so they can be aware. That’s what took my baby, it was her birthday balloon. It’s hard to comprehend."

While investigations into the death of the little one are still ongoing, the heartbroken mom took to Facebook to recall the incident that took place on October 1 while also doubling down on her message about keeping your children safe from hazards.

"For [Alexandra's] birthday party, on September 24, I bought a large 34 inch rainbow Mylar number 7 balloon inflated with helium, as seen below, along with approximately 10 Roblox themed latex balloons," she wrote in a post alongside a snapshot of the balloon in question.

"As a parent I was always aware of the choking hazard of latex balloons, but never imagined that there was such a risk regarding these very large Mylar helium filled balloons," she continued. "A week after her birthday party, I sat with her as she popped all of her latex balloons. Alex asked if she could pop her large 7 balloon and I said that was fine. I would have never imagined that she would have been able to fit this balloon over her head."

Channa then said that she had gone upstairs and had briefly fallen asleep but when she came back downstairs, she saw her daughter lying face-down on the floor where she had left her, with the balloon over her head.

"I quickly removed the balloon, called 911 and began CPR right away..." she continued in the emotional post. "A police officer arrived and took over CPR followed by firefighters and paramedics."

She said that the medical personnel "worked tirelessly" to try to bring her back but "their attempts to revive her were unsuccessful."

"I cried hysterically and was in utter shock and disbelief of what had just occurred, that my daughter and only child was actually gone," she said before going on to warn other parents to not make the same mistakes that she did.

"On Sunday October 1rst [sic] my entire world collapsed around me all because I was unaware of the risk surrounding these types of balloons," she said. "I hope by sharing our story that I can bring awareness and educate parents about the dangers of not only latex balloons but also Mylar balloons. I hope and pray that this will prevent and save the life of other children.

"I wouldn’t want anyone else to experience the pain and devastation that the loss of a child brings," she concluded.

Have a look at the full post below:

Hundreds of people took to the comments of the post in order to leave kind messages for the mother, especially during this difficult period in her life.

"I am just at a loss for words when it comes to what to say to you besides I’m so sorry Channa," wrote one Facebooik user. "I can’t imagine what you are going through and I just want to hug you. I am thankful that you shared this and are helping spread the awareness."

"This is heart breaking, you are a very strong young lady for sharing your story, sending prayers up for you and sending hugs to you," another added while a third also shared a similar sentiment, saying that despite how sad the situation is, they are thankful that she shared such an important message.

"I cannot imagine what you are going through. This is so heartbreaking but thank you for sharing your story in the hopes of saving another child’s life. Praying for you!", they wrote.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Channa throughout this difficult time.

Featured Image Credit: Justin Paget/Getty

Mom issues warning after 7-year-old daughter dies after playing with her own birthday balloons

vt-author-image

By Nasima Khatun

Article saved!Article saved!

A mom has issued a serious warning after her daughter died because of her own birthday balloons.

Alexandra Hope Kelly had just turned seven years old when she tragically lost her life last week after popping balloons that were used as decor for her birthday at her home in Clinton, Tennessee.

Tragically, she was suffocated by a giant '7' balloon and now her devastated mom, Channa Kelly, is warning other parents of the potential dangers linked to celebratory decorations.

Speaking to news outlet WAFB, she said: "I want people to know so they can be aware. That’s what took my baby, it was her birthday balloon. It’s hard to comprehend."

While investigations into the death of the little one are still ongoing, the heartbroken mom took to Facebook to recall the incident that took place on October 1 while also doubling down on her message about keeping your children safe from hazards.

"For [Alexandra's] birthday party, on September 24, I bought a large 34 inch rainbow Mylar number 7 balloon inflated with helium, as seen below, along with approximately 10 Roblox themed latex balloons," she wrote in a post alongside a snapshot of the balloon in question.

"As a parent I was always aware of the choking hazard of latex balloons, but never imagined that there was such a risk regarding these very large Mylar helium filled balloons," she continued. "A week after her birthday party, I sat with her as she popped all of her latex balloons. Alex asked if she could pop her large 7 balloon and I said that was fine. I would have never imagined that she would have been able to fit this balloon over her head."

Channa then said that she had gone upstairs and had briefly fallen asleep but when she came back downstairs, she saw her daughter lying face-down on the floor where she had left her, with the balloon over her head.

"I quickly removed the balloon, called 911 and began CPR right away..." she continued in the emotional post. "A police officer arrived and took over CPR followed by firefighters and paramedics."

She said that the medical personnel "worked tirelessly" to try to bring her back but "their attempts to revive her were unsuccessful."

"I cried hysterically and was in utter shock and disbelief of what had just occurred, that my daughter and only child was actually gone," she said before going on to warn other parents to not make the same mistakes that she did.

"On Sunday October 1rst [sic] my entire world collapsed around me all because I was unaware of the risk surrounding these types of balloons," she said. "I hope by sharing our story that I can bring awareness and educate parents about the dangers of not only latex balloons but also Mylar balloons. I hope and pray that this will prevent and save the life of other children.

"I wouldn’t want anyone else to experience the pain and devastation that the loss of a child brings," she concluded.

Have a look at the full post below:

Hundreds of people took to the comments of the post in order to leave kind messages for the mother, especially during this difficult period in her life.

"I am just at a loss for words when it comes to what to say to you besides I’m so sorry Channa," wrote one Facebooik user. "I can’t imagine what you are going through and I just want to hug you. I am thankful that you shared this and are helping spread the awareness."

"This is heart breaking, you are a very strong young lady for sharing your story, sending prayers up for you and sending hugs to you," another added while a third also shared a similar sentiment, saying that despite how sad the situation is, they are thankful that she shared such an important message.

"I cannot imagine what you are going through. This is so heartbreaking but thank you for sharing your story in the hopes of saving another child’s life. Praying for you!", they wrote.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Channa throughout this difficult time.

Featured Image Credit: Justin Paget/Getty