US3 min(s) read
Published 09:00 18 May 2026 GMT
CDC issues statement after at least six Americans are exposed to deadly Ebola outbreak
CDC has released a statement after six American nationals were exposed to the deadly Ebola outbreak spreading through the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Three of the Americans are believed to have had high-risk contact with the virus, though it remains unclear whether any have actually been infected or whether they are still in the country.
This comes after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak in Congo and neighboring Uganda a "public health emergency of international concern," the highest alert level it can issue, CBS News reported.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed it is now helping coordinate the "safe withdrawal" of the Americans linked directly to the outbreak.
"At this time, the risk to the American public remains low," the CDC said in a statement shared on Sunday (May 17). "CDC continues to closely monitor the situation and has systems in place to detect and respond rapidly to potential public health threats."
"The CDC's Country Offices in the DRC and Uganda have been coordinating across the U.S. Government, Ministries of Health, other members of the USG, and international partners to support response operations, including surveillance, laboratory diagnostics, infection prevention and control, and other outbreak containment efforts."
"CDC is also supporting interagency partners who are actively coordinating the safe withdrawal of a small number of Americans who are directly affected by this outbreak," they added.
Rare Ebola strain
Health officials say the outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, a rare and particularly dangerous variant first identified in 2007.
Unlike the better-known Zaire strain, there is currently no approved vaccine or treatment available for Bundibugyo Ebola, which has led to concerns about how hard it would be to contain the outbreak.
DR Congo health minister Samuel-Roger Kamba said the strain "has a very high lethality rate which can reach 50 percent," per Al Jazeera.
As of Sunday, more than 300 suspected Ebola cases had been recorded in Congo, while at least 80 suspected deaths have already been reported.
The CDC says eight cases have been laboratory confirmed so far this year.
How does it spread, and what are the symptoms?
The rare but life-threatening infection spreads through direct contact with an infected person's bodily fluids and does not spread through the air or casual contact.
According to Mayo Clinic, symptoms start with a flu, but can progress to severe bleeding, neurological disorders, severe vomiting, weakness, abdominal pain, nosebleeds, muscle pain, and a rash.
The CDC has now issued travel advisories urging Americans in both Congo and Uganda to "practice enhanced precautions" and avoid anyone displaying symptoms.
Travelers are also being encouraged to check the latest health guidance before visiting either country.
The outbreak is taking place in Congo's eastern Ituri province, a mineral-rich region bordering Uganda and South Sudan that has endured decades of armed conflict.
This latest outbreak marks Congo's 17th Ebola outbreak since 1976. One of the deadliest outbreaks in history swept through West Africa between 2014 and 2016, killing more than 11,000 people.













