ADVERT
US3 min(s) read
A Georgia man who was sentenced to life in prison has gouged both of his own eyes out and claimed that he was a "divine being."
Robert Brandon Keller, 32, also bit off a part of his tongue in an attempt to be placed in a medical facility.
He did so after being found guilty of killing a man during a carjacking in October 2024, according to a report.
Keller appeared in court Wednesday (July 1) and was found guilty on all 10 counts before being sentenced.
His charges were as follows: Four counts of felony murder, malice murder, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, armed robbery, hijacking a motor vehicle in the first degree, and possession of a firearm or knife during the commission of a felony.
Speaking before his sentencing, Keller claimed: "I’m a divine being," before continuing: "I am here by special presentation and appearance of the entity known as Robert Brandon Lewis Keller."
He added: “I would like the ability to be trusted, to tell the truth, but this is not the setting I trust to do so.”
Keller told jailers that he gouged his eyes out and bit his tongue to "cover his a**" and be placed in a medical prison, reports The Georgia Virtue.
Judge Matthew Hube claimed that the killer "represented the worst of us."
He said that the guilty party "took advantage of someone who was trying to help, and left a trail of wreckage in his wake."
As a result, Keller was sentenced to two consecutive life sentences and an additional 25 years.
Acting Bulloch County District Attorney Jillian Gibson thanked the judge for the ruling, stating: “To be able to protect our community from a very dangerous individual, so we are very grateful for that.”
Keller's niece, Mandy Moore, told the court: “Bruce (the victim) is gone and won’t come back, and nothing can fix that, nothing can fill that void.
“The justice system prevailed; no other family will go through what we went through at the hands of this man.”
Back in October 2024, Bruce William Dupree, 43, stopped on the side of the interstate in Bulloch County, Georgia, to give Keller a ride, as he was hitchhiking.
But Keller, under the influence of drugs, attacked the good samaritan, slashing his throat while dragging his body into the grassy centre of I-16, leaving him to die.
A witness called 911 after seeing Dupree covered in blood while shouting for help on the side of the road, before dying as a result of his injuries.
Police tracked the perpetrator in Dupree's stolen car, eventually apprehending him at the Patriot Inn, in Register, Georgia.
Judge Hube said that "Mr. Dupree represented the best of us; he stopped and helped someone that he thought was in need."
lifestyle3 min(s) read
us3 min(s) read
us4 min(s) read
us4 min(s) read
us2 min(s) read
A 21-year-old man who killed a young mom and her one-year-old daughter when he hit them at 100mph has developed a disturbing cult following as fans argue he's too "cute" for prison.
As reported by the Tampa Bay Times, in 2018, Cameron Herrin fatally struck the mother and daughter while speeding.
In April of this year, Herrin was given a 24-year prison sentence after he pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide.
Now, a cult following has emerged for the fresh-faced 21-year-old on TikTok, with users on the platform declaring that he is "innocent".
For instance, one person wrote: "He is innocent please give him one chance."
Another added: "Omg [he's] so cute. Release him..."
A third simply wrote: "He is so damn not."
Another fan argued: "He is not [a] criminal it was [an] accident."
A different member of the fanbase wrote alongside a broken heart emoji: "Justice for Cameron. 24 years is too much."
Twenty-four-year-old Jessica Reisinger-Raubenolt and her 20-month-old daughter, Lillia, had been crossing a street in Tampa, Florida when Herrin hit them.
Prosecutors stated that Herrin had been taking part in a street race at the time of the incident.
Per Insider, TikTok videos gushing over Herrin have managed to accumulate billions of views, and videos under the hashtag #justiceforcameron have been viewed over 26 million times.
Many of the videos feature the young convict in court as his sentence is announced.
What's more, a Change.org petition, which has been signed over 28,000 times at the time of writing, has been set up calling for leniency in his sentence.
Herrin's mother has now weighed in on the bizarre fascination with her son, telling the Tampa Bay Times that his fans seem to have "an unhealthy obsession" with him.
She even said they send letters and ring her up in the middle of the night and that the obsession became "scary" when people began stalking members of her family online and allegedly hacked Herrin's partner's accounts.
Widower David Raubenolt requested that the judge give Herrin the maximum sentence of 30 years for ending the lives of his wife and daughter.
Trigger warning: This article contains graphic details.
A convicted murderer who was executed yesterday remained defiant in his stance before he was put to death.
Duane Eugene Owen was arrested after he fatally stabbed a Delray Beach babysitter and beat a single Boca Raton mom to death approximately 40 years ago.
The first incident saw Karen Slattery brutally raped and bludgeoned to death with a hammer while she was babysitting the two daughters of the Helm family. When the parents got home just after midnight, they noticed that their house was dark and quiet, which was unusual so they started looking around the rooms for Slattery.
They were shocked to see a pool of blood on the floor with a hammer laying next to it in the living room.
They then entered the master bedroom where they discovered the teenager's body which had been violated and stabbed a total of 18 times.
Slattery was only 14 at the time.
Law & Crime reported that Owen confessed to the teen’s murder and even detailed his plan in an audio transcript.
The 62-year-old told detectives that he broke into the home through the bedroom window earlier in the night and spotted Slattery braiding the young girls’ hair. He then decided to leave, have a few drinks, then go back to attack her.
Upon returning to the home, he grabbed a hammer that he had found in the bedroom closet, attacked the babysitter while she was watching TV before confessing that he "dragged" her upstairs and "just raped her."
Then just five days later, a similar incident saw Georgianna Worden brutally attacked inside her home in Florida.
Just like Slattery, Worden was killed and then sexually assaulted. The 38-year-old's children found her dead body the next morning while they were getting ready for school.
Owen was arrested and detained after DNA evidence linked him to the case. The killer confessed to both murders and was placed on trial in 1985 for Slattery's murder and then in 1986 for Worden's.
Both juries found the man guilty and he was sentenced to death.
The Palm Beach Post reported that Ron DeSantis initially delayed Owens' death sentence so he could be examined by three psychiatrists.
However, on June 15, the execution went ahead and the 62-year-old died at approximately 6:14 PM via a lethal injection at Florida State Prison in Raiford.
Owens appeared to lack remorse until the very end. When asked if he had any last words minutes before his lethal injection, he reportedly said "no" - seemingly in an act of defiance.
Though he did leave a final statement with authorities shortly after he woke up on his final day.
Insisting that he would "live on", he claimed in his final statement, per Palm Beach Post: "I have transcended space and time, I have see the visions of the Crow. My energy and particles will transform ad infinitum, I will live on. I am Tula. 13."
Owens had been on death row for 38 years before he was executed.
A convicted killer has bizarrely thanked a judge for sentencing him to death.
Per Fox 13 News, Steven Lorenzo pleaded guilty years ago to two counts of first-degree murder for the brutal 2003 killings of two gay men - Jason Galehouse and Michael Wachholtz.
Along with accomplice Scott Schweickert - who has also pleaded guilty for his participation in the murders - Lorenzo stood accused of luring Wachholtz and Galehouse back to his home, separately, before drugging and killing the two men.
Wachholtz's body was later found wrapped in a sheet inside the trunk of his own car in a parking lot.
Galehouse's body was never found after he was dismembered and had his remains dumped in random dumpsters.
Addressing Lorenzo, Galehouse's mother, Pam Williams, said inside the Florida court earlier this week: "I don't have a grave. I don’t have a tombstone. All I've got is ground-up hamburger meat in the ground because of you, you scumbag. That’s exactly what you are. You should be dead already, as far as I’m concerned. You put me through holy hell."
You can watch the bizarre sentencing below:Wachholtz's mother, Ruth Wachholtz, echoed calls for the death penalty for Lorenzo, telling the court: "What he did to my son before murdering him should be done to him, eye for an eye.
"For 20 years he lived, and Michael hasn't. At taxpayers’ expense, no less. It's time to end this."
In 2016, Schweickert pleaded guilty to the murders and was sentenced to life in prison in exchange for testifying against accomplice Lorenzo.
Despite fighting the charges for years, Lorenzo has since pleaded guilty to the murders, and appeared in court on Friday (February 24) to ask Judge Christopher Sabella for the death sentence.
Representing himself, Lorenzo said in a statement to the court: "I'm seeking the death penalty. It's in my best interest. I'll be living a lot more comfortable than I would in the federal system, living on death row, believe it or not."
He continued: "That may sound selfish, but I've lived in a private cell for the last 5 years and I'm gonna have a private cell on death row. At my age, I want to be comfortable, I want my privacy, that's what I want. It may sound selfish, but that's the way it is. You live for today, you don't live for the past."
Lorenzo went on to describe the death penalty as "euthanasia", before telling the court: "I already have a death sentence, everyone in this room has a death sentence."
He then explained that rather than staying alive for "about 10-15 years", he'd rather die in order to "come back again".
"The sooner I get euthanized, as far as I'm concerned, the faster I can fetch myself a new body and come back again, a fresh body, that's how I look at it," he said. "We're eternal beings. I've got better things to do with my time than to hang out and spend 15-20 years on death row or in any prison system."
Judge Sabella made it clear that Lorenzo's statement held no weight regarding his decision, but did eventually issue the death sentence.
"In the words of Ms. Pam Williams, from one Italian to another, 'Ti condanno a morte,' that translates to I sentence you to death," the judge said. "That is the punishment you deserve for these horrific crimes."
Then, in a rather bizarre scene, Lorenzo thanked the judge for his ruling, saying: "Thank you, your honor, I appreciate it."
When Judge Sabella declared: "May God have mercy on your soul,", Lorenzo simply replied: "My soul is fine, thank you sir."
The three men convicted of killing Ahmaud Arbery have been sentenced.
Today, 35-year-old Travis McMichael, his father, 66-year-old Gregory McMichael, and their neighbor, 52-year-old William "Roddie" Bryan, were sentenced after being convicted on multiple charges, including felony murder, in the 2020 killing of the 25-year-old Arbery.
Travis McMichael was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole plus 20 years. Gregory McMichael also received life without the possibility of parole plus 20 years.
William "Roddie" Bryan was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole.
Prior to announcing the sentences, Judge Timothy Walmsley referenced the five-minute chase of Arbery, saying: "When I thought about this, I thought from a lot of different angles, and I kept coming back to the terror that must have been in the mind of the young man running through Satilla Shores."
Amid the sentencing hearing, Ahmaud Arbery’s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, asked the court to slap the three men with the maximum sentence.
"These men have chose to lie and attack my son and his surviving family," Cooper-Jones said. "They each have no remorse and do not deserve any leniency."
Additionally, Ahmaud's father told the court in his victim impact statement: "I'll never get that chance to sit next to my son ever again."
"When I close my eyes, I see his execution in my mind over and over. I'll see that for the rest of my life," Marcus Arbery added.
During the sentencing hearing, the attorney for Gregory McMichael said that he "never wanted another person to die". Per CNN, attorney Laura Hogue argued that McMichael's lack of intent should be considered when it came to his sentence.
"If life without parole is a sentence that is held for only the worst of the worst, it simply can’t be a sentence for a person who never intended that tragic result that took place," Hogue said.
The defense teams for all three men asked the court for life sentences with the possibility of parole, CNN adds.
The trio of white men was convicted of chasing and fatally shooting Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man, by a Georgia jury in November. Since then, they have been held at Glynn County Detention Centre - the same facility where they have been held since their arrest.
Arbery was out for a Sunday jog in February 2020 when Travis McMichael, 35, and his father Gregory McMichael, 65, gave chase with weapons.
The father and son believed Arbery had committed a crime in their Satilla Shores neighborhood - located just outside of Brunswick - and claim to have been conducting a citizens arrest, CNN reports.
They were joined along the way by their neighbor, William 'Roddie' Bryan, who recorded the pursuit from his pickup truck. In the video, Travis McMichael can be seen tussling with Arbery over a shotgun before fatally shooting him.
Authorities were slow to react to the killing, which the McMichael's claimed to have happened in self-defense, and which Bryan maintained he had no part in.
The trio was so confident in their innocence that they released the video footage to the public - a decision that led to many members of the public calling for their arrest.
When the case was brought to trial, all three men pleaded not guilty to the murder charges brought against them.
After 11 hours of deliberation, the jury convicted Travis McMichael on all nine charges: malice murder, four counts of felony murder, aggravated assault with a shotgun, aggravated assault with a pickup truck, false imprisonment and criminal intent to commit a felony.
His father - a former Georgia police officer - was found not guilty of malice murder but was convicted on all the remaining charges.
Meanwhile, Bryan was convicted of three felony murder counts alongside charges of aggravated assault, false imprisonment, and criminal intent to commit a felony.
This is not the last time Ahmaud Arbery's killers will appear in court. All three have been indicted on federal hate crime charges - to which they have all pleaded not guilty.
Jury selection for the federal hate crime trial will begin on February 7.
A Georgia man who spent 23 years behind bars for a 1998 murder has finally been exonerated and freed.
Devonia Inman, now 43, was serving a life without parole sentence for a 1998 robbery and murder of a Taco Bell manager in southern Georgia. However, according to his advocates, the Georgia Innocence Project, DNA evidence linked another person to the crime.
The Georgia Innocence Project states that no physical evidence tied Inman to the case, and three of the four witnesses in his trial later recounted their testimonies saying they had been pressured or coerced by police.
During the 1998 murder, the manager of a Taco Bell restaurant in Adel, Georgia, was robbed and shot dead in the parking lot of the establishment. The killer took $1,700 and the victim's car - which was later found abandoned nearby by police, with a handmade ski mask inside.
Per the New York Post, further DNA testing later concluded that Hercules Brown, a convicted killer, was the rightful suspect in the case.
Brown's DNA was found on the ski mask inside the victim's car. The judge in the retrial also concluded last month that prosecutors had originally withheld evidence connecting Hercules Brown to the crime, according to the Georgia Innocence Project.
As Inman spent two years awaiting trial, Brown went one to kill two other people. He is currently in prison for those crimes.
Inman was finally set free after 23 years after the local DA reportedly dismissed all charges, with state officials opting not to appeal the ruling. He walked free from the Augusta State Medical Prison on Monday.
Following his freedom, Inman said: "It took a really long time to fix, even though it was so clear I wasn't guilty."
"I'm glad I get to finally go home, and I'm grateful to everyone who helped make that possible," he added.
In a statement to the Georgia Innocence Project, Inman's legal team from Troutman Pepper said: "We are elated to see Devonia and his family finally obtain the justice that so many have fought for so long to secure."
"We are privileged to have played a part in his long-overdue exoneration, and to work at a firm committed to critically important pro bono matters like this," the lawyers added.
Due to the fact that Georgia is one of 13 states that does not currently have a statutory compensation law to assist those wrongfully convicted, the GIP has set up a fundraiser to help Inman and his family. As of this writing, over $12,000 has been raised.