Loading...
Sport3 min(s) read
Published 13:23 22 May 2026 GMT
An update has been provided on the health of Kyle Busch prior to his death on Thursday, May 21.
The NASCAR legend passed away aged 41 while hospitalized in Concord, North Carolina, with a severe illness.
Busch is considered one of the most accomplished and skilled drivers in motorsports history, having been a NASCAR champion twice, while also emerging victorious in the Motorsport and USA Cup Series.
Following his passing, Busch's official cause of death was not announced, but his untimely death came just six days after the American driving legend emerged victorious at the 2026 Ecosave 200 at Dover Motor Speedway.
Now, it has been revealed that the NASCAR driver had sought medical attention for a "substantial" cough during a race just two weeks before passing away.
NASCAR confirmed Busch's tragic passing just hours after his death, with a statement on behalf of the organization, Busch's family and Richard Childress Racing.
It read: "On behalf of the Busch family, everyone at Richard Childress Racing and all of NASCAR, we are devastated to announce the sudden and tragic passing of Kyle Busch.
"Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.
"Throughout a career that spanned more than two decades, Kyle set records in national series wins, won championships at NASCAR’s highest level and fostered the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series.
"His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.'"
Busch had asked for help at Watkins Glen International on May 10, as captured on his radio by Fox NASCAR.
The driver could be heard saying: “Can somebody try to find Bill Heisel?"
A commentator said that he had a "sinus cold," as he searched for Heisel, the director of OrthoCarolina Motorsports, who leads a team of doctors who provide care at NASCAR races.
Busch said on the radio: "He’s the kindred doctor guy,
"Tell him I need him after the race, please. I’m gonna need a shot."
A week down the line, Busch told reporters of his symptoms, as a video shared by The Athletic reporter Jeff Gluck showed him saying: “I’m still not great, the cough was pretty substantial last week.”
It has not been revealed if this illness was related to his hospitalization and death.
On the day of his passing, Busch's family announced that he was hospitalized and would miss two upcoming races in North Carolina.
“Kyle has experienced a severe illness resulting in hospitalization,” the Busch family said in a statement.
“He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation.”
He was slated to race in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race at the speedway in Concord, North Carolina, on both May 22 and 24, at the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.