ADVERT
US3 min(s) read
Published 11:17 08 Jul 2026 GMT
In the latest update since 16 children were discovered and rescued after spending at least four years “kept in worse conditions than livestock”, and their responsible adults were arrested, the prosecutor has revealed the challenges that could hinder the investigation into the horrifying case of neglect.
The children, aged between one-and-a-half and 18, were discovered inside a crumbling house, locked in a room of just 12 by 12 feet by the Vinton County Sheriff's Office in Ohio on Tuesday, June 30.
Heartbreakingly, the children had suffered such “serious physical harm” that two had to be flown to specialist trauma centres, while another seven were taken to Columbus Hospitals, with one admitted to the ICU and intubated.
The children's father, Gary Siders Jr., 36, mother Elizabeth Siders, 33, and grandparents Gary Siders Sr., 73, and Christina Siders, 77, were arrested and charged with 16 counts of child endangerment. However, they have all since pleaded not guilty.
Sadly, during a press conference just days after the gut-wrenching discovery, Ohio Attorney General Andy Wilson and Vinton County Sheriff Ryan Cain warned the public, who have been gripped by the case, that the investigation could take some time.
The main reason for the expected delay in prosecution is that the children are believed to have very limited communication skills, with some of the 16 children who are aged between one and a half and 18, completely mute.
The state officials even compared the children to animals, describing them as “feral”.
It is not known if any of the children have ever had any formal education, as there is no evidence of them ever being enrolled in a school, according to the Vinton County School District.
William Archer, Vinton County prosecutor, said: “One of the investigative challenges is that (the children) are limited. They can communicate but it’s extremely limited and some not at all.”
He also noted that the eldest child is developmentally a minor and incapable of spelling their own name, despite being the age that most teenagers graduate from high school.
The prosecutor also told reporters that the children are in the process of being placed in protective custody with Ohio Jobs and Family Services.
Since the arrests of all the allegedly responsible adults, the judge also confirmed that all four bonds are set at $300,000, and each charge could land a prison sentence of two to eight years. If each of the four family members is found guilty on all counts, they could face 192 years in prison individually.
us3 min(s) read
us3 min(s) read
us3 min(s) read
us3 min(s) read
us3 min(s) read
Published 13:32 02 Jul 2026 GMT
Authorities in Ohio have arrested and charged four family members after discovering 16 children living in severe neglect in a rural home. The suspects include the parents, Gary Siders Jr., 36, and Elizabeth Siders, 33, as well as the grandparents, Gary Siders Sr., 73, and Christina Siders, 67.
All four individuals face charges of second-degree felony child endangering following an investigation in Vinton County.
Law enforcement officials found the boys and girls, who range in age from 18 months to 18 years, inside a small, dilapidated house in the village of Hamden. Investigators stated that the property lacked basic sanitation and showed clear signs of human waste. Several of the children required immediate medical attention upon their rescue and were transported to nearby hospitals.
The investigation indicates that the family had been highly mobile, moving across different parts of the state before arriving in Vinton County roughly four years ago. The children were kept entirely out of the education system, with none of them enrolled in school. The oldest child, an 18-year-old with developmental disabilities, was unable to spell her own name.
Vinton County Sheriff Ryan Cain described the residence as "disgusting" and noted that the conditions showed signs of human excrement. He stated that investigators believe the 16 children were restricted to a single 12ft by 12ft room for the majority of the four years they spent at the property. The isolation severely impacted their development, leaving some of the youth completely non-verbal and others with very limited speech capabilities.
"Most of our livestock was kept in better conditions than the children," Cain stated during a news conference detailing the rescue operation, per Sky News.
Ohio Attorney General Andy Wilson expressed shock over the situation, noting that the conditions "really looked third world" and adding that "It's just almost beyond comprehension." Wilson explained that the family managed to keep the children hidden from the community for years, using a home that was owned by a trust.
"Some of these children couldn't even speak," Wilson said regarding the state of the youth. "It was terrible. They looked like almost feral animals. It was terrible."
The children were immediately removed from the home and taken to the hospital for evaluations. While some have been examined and released into protective custody, others required urgent medical interventions. According to state officials, one child was placed in intensive care, and two others had to be flown to trauma centers due to the severity of their injuries.
The four defendants made their first court appearance in Vinton County via a video link from the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail. During the hearing, the judge entered not guilty pleas on behalf of all four family members.
The court set a bond of $300,000 for each defendant. As part of their bail conditions, the judge issued a strict order barring the parents and grandparents from having any contact with the children or with each other while the legal process moves forward.
Published 11:45 06 Jul 2026 GMT
A disturbing new detail has come to light after authorities uncovered 16 children living in what officials described as horrific conditions inside an Ohio home.
According to investigators, the oldest child, an 18-year-old woman, is developmentally disabled and unable to even write her name, highlighting the severe neglect authorities say the children suffered after years of isolation.
Police only discovered the children after arriving at the Vinton County property to serve an unrelated indecent exposure warrant for Gary Siders II. Instead, officers found 16 children, ranging in age from 18 months to 18 years old, allegedly living inside a feces-filled home, raising questions about how the situation went unnoticed for so long.
Authorities now face the difficult task of piecing together exactly what happened inside the home because many of the children struggle to communicate.
"One of the investigative challenges is that [the children] are limited. They can communicate, but it’s extremely limited, and some not at all," Vinton County Sheriff Ryan Cain said at a news conference Wednesday (July 1).
According to authorities, the oldest child is developmentally disabled and unable to even write her name.
Investigators allege the children had been kept isolated inside a 12-foot by 12-foot room for years. Officials said the room was covered in human waste, and the children had never been enrolled in school.
Ohio Attorney General Andy Wilson described the investigation as an "intra-family case," adding that it remains unclear exactly who all of the children's parents are. He said the children appeared like "almost feral animals."
Gary Siders II, his wife Elizabeth Siders, and his parents, Gary Siders Sr. and Christine Siders, were arrested and each faces multiple child endangerment charges.
Records show Gary Siders II was 18 years old and had completed ninth grade when he married Elizabeth in 2008, when she was 15 years old. Because Elizabeth was underage, both of her parents signed the marriage certificate alongside Siders' parents. Their oldest child was born two months after the marriage.
Court records list the children's ages as 18, 16, 15, 14, 13, 11, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4-year-old twins, two-year-old twins, and one-year-old twins.
Officials believe the children had been living in the deplorable conditions for at least four years.
"It really looked third world. It is not something we are used to seeing in America. I cannot get the smell off of me," Wilson told reporters.
Seven of the children were hospitalized in the Columbus area, including two who were taken to trauma centers.
Siders II is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday on the original indecent exposure warrant. All four defendants are being held on $300,000 bonds and each faces up to 16 counts of child endangerment. If convicted on all charges, each could face a maximum sentence of up to 192 years in prison.
Published 10:42 02 Jul 2026 GMT
After 16 children, some with severe injuries, were rescued from a home full of excrement, four people, believed to be their parents and grandparents, have been charged with 17 counts of child endangerment.
The children, aged between one-and-a-half and 18, were discovered inside a crumbling house by the Vinton County Sheriff's Office in Ohio on Tuesday, June 30, and were described to be "kept in worse conditions than livestock”.
Law enforcement officers described the scene as “pure evil”, while Ohio Attorney General Andy Wilson told a news conference they were found in “Conditions you cannot even imagine people being in, let alone children being in.”
Tragically, he added, “Some of these children couldn’t even speak.”
The area the children were held captive in for “most of the last four years” was reportedly no larger than 12 by 12 feet and had a high presence of human excrement.
The house they were found in, which is believed to belong to a deceased owner, was in such terrible condition that the children were “literally about to fall through the floor”, according to Wilson.
Heartbreakingly, the children had suffered such “serious physical harm” that two had to be flown to specialist trauma centres, while another seven were taken to Columbus Hospitals, with one admitted to the ICU and intubated.
Although the neglected brood were only thought to have been held in the decrepit Ohio property for four years, it is presumed that they had been mistreated and kept captive for the majority of their short lives, as the 18-year-old could not spell her own name and many of the others were completely mute.
According to WBNS, neighbours told authorities that they were completely unaware of any children living in the home and believed that the adults who were keeping them captive were not locals and appeared to be travelling.
The neglected children were only discovered by local law enforcement while investigating another crime entirely.
While officials have not yet commented on the relationship between the children, they did confirm it was not a case of human trafficking, and the four adults responsible for their neglect have been cited as parents and grandparents, so it is assumed that they are a large group of siblings.
Since their arrest on Tuesday, Gary Siders Jr., Gary Siders Sr., Christina Siders and Elizabeth Siders of Hamden, Ohio, entered not guilty pleas at a digital hearing.
Each sickening adult faces a minimum of two to eight years and a maximum of 12 years in prison for each of the 17 charges.
Published 11:33 03 Jul 2026 GMT
After 16 children were discovered in beyond inhumane conditions this week, an attorney representing one of the adults responsible, their grandfather, has urged the public to “step back” and allow the authorities to get to the bottom of the case.
The severely neglected children were held captive in a small room for most of the last four years, which was reportedly no larger than 12 by 12 feet and had a high presence of human excrement.
Heartbreakingly, the children had suffered such “serious physical harm” that immediately after they were found on Tuesday, June 30, two had to be flown to specialist trauma centres, while another seven were taken to Columbus Hospitals, with one admitted to the ICU and intubated.
Although the neglected brood were only thought to have been held in the decrepit Ohio property for four years, it is presumed that they had been mistreated and kept captive for the majority of their short lives, as the 18-year-old could not spell her own name and many of the others were completely mute.
The family is believed to have moved around the state of Ohio a lot over the last two decades, but it is still remarkable that there is little to no record of the children’s existence, as they have never been enrolled in a school or attended doctor's appointments.
According to WBNS, neighbours told authorities that they were completely unaware of any children living in the home and believed that the adults who were keeping them captive were not locals and appeared to be travelling.
Four family members, the children’s parents and grandparents, Gary Siders Jr., Gary Siders Sr., Christina Siders and Elizabeth Siders of Hamden, Ohio, have been arrested on child endangerment charges.
Each sickening adult faces a minimum of two to eight years and a maximum of 12 years in prison for each of the 17 charges.
It has been reported that the children were discovered in decrepit conditions when law enforcement officers were investigating an entirely separate crime.
Although authorities have not officially shared details about the investigation that led to the house being searched, court documents prove that a warrant was issued for Mr Siders Jr on misdemeanour indecent exposure charges related to alleged incidents on four days in May.
An attorney representing Mr Siders has urged the public to keep their noses out of the investigation and let authorities handle it properly.
Dorian Baum told the Associated Press: "We ask that the community at large, as well as anyone who might have an interest in this case, to take a deep breath, step back, and let the case play out, and the facts play out."
Published 16:02 02 Jul 2026 GMT
The Governor of Ohio has released an official response to the case involving 16 children being found in a run-down home, which was full of excrement.
Some of the children were found with severe injuries, as four people, believed to be their parents and grandparents, were charged with 17 counts of child endangerment.
Ohio Authorities have now arrested and charged four family members after discovering the children in the rural home.
These suspects include the parents, Gary Siders Jr., 36, and Elizabeth Siders, 33, as well as the grandparents, Gary Siders Sr., 73, and Christina Siders, 67.
All four now face charges of second-degree felony child endangering, once the investigation in Vinton County has been concluded.
Now, the state's Governor has released a statement about the disturbing situation.
Taking to the official State of Ohio site, Governor Mike DeWine spoke about the "tragic" find in Vinton County.
He said in a statement: "Ohio Attorney General Andy Wilson has kept me informed about the tragic situation in Vinton County. I have talked to Vinton County Sheriff Ryan Cain to offer any help that we might be able to provide.
"The Director of the Ohio Department of Children and Youth, Kara Wente, has been working today to assist Vinton County Children’s Services, and will continue to help in the days ahead."
DeWine added: "It is heartbreaking to learn the conditions that these children were living in, and to learn of their medical conditions. Attorney General Wilson is an experienced prosecutor and he has told me he has never seen anything like what he saw today.
"Fran and I pray for these children, and thank the children's services workers, law enforcement officers, and medical personnel who are helping them," he concluded.
The house they were found in was believed to belong to an owner who had died, as Wilson noted that the children were "literally about to fall through the floor" in those awful conditions.
The children suffered such “serious physical harm” that two had to be flown to specialist trauma centres, while another seven were taken to Columbus Hospitals, with one admitted to the ICU and intubated.
The children were aged between one-and-a-half and 18, with investigators saying they were "kept in worse conditions than livestock”.
Officers said that the scene was "pure evil," with Ohio Attorney General Andy Wilson telling a press conference that the children were in "conditions you cannot even imagine people being in, let alone children being in."
“Some of these children couldn’t even speak,” he said.
The children were found in a small house in the village of Hamden, with the property lacking basic sanitation and signs of human waste present.
It was found that the family moved often, going around different parts of the state before settling in Vinton County roughly four years ago.
The kids were never enrolled in the education system, with the eldest, an 18-year-old with developmental disabilities, unable to spell her own name, while others remained completely mute.